July 11, 2011

What a week!

Mom & Family,
Hey hey!! good to see an e-mail from ya! I was a little worried last week when there wasn't an e-mail from ya, but I figured that you were just still busy from Canada. It sounds like you had a fun time! We'll have to go when I get back and go hike "bears rump" so I can be with you all!
Before I forget, Can you please get me Robert Viramontes e-mail address and Callie Wilsons e-mail address? I'd like to write Robert and see how he's doing and also stay in touch with Callie.
So I decided to be more specific this week about my apartment and life here in Barbados. 1st on the list is our shower head in our bathroom. Like Elder Taylor told us before I came out here, It has copper wires attached to the light switch/power source, so if you touch it, you get zapped throughout your ENTIRE body because you're sopping wet. Not to mention that the shower head is like 5' 5''!!!!! So you get zapped like almost every single time you shower!
2nd, I'm attaching a picture of this so you believe me, but I have stopped biting my fingernails!! You'd be so proud of me. :) It's been almost 2 weeks since I've stopped. They look good for a change!
3rd, I've been collecting sea shells and cool rocks to bring home with me for the girls and Coleman. I would send them, but they're too heavy and it'd cost me a lot. I'll try and collect more though so I can bring some souvenirs back for everyone!
4th, It is now the wet season here. That means that it is still about 100 degrees w/ a TON of humidity, but at any random moment, it will start to POUR. The rain here isn't like the rain there though. No no, the rain drops here are like the size of a grape! They hit you and within like twenty hits, you're soaked! I'll add some pictures of me playing in the rain and puddles. People WILL NOT answer their doors when Its raining, so we usually just go out to eat or chill under a garage until it passes. It usually rains for about 20 - 30 minutes before it stops. Its pretty random.


5th, On Saturday, just 2 days ago, we had a baptism in the Ocean!! A member baptized her and the waves kept knocking them over before he had the chance to finish the prayer, she really wanted to get baptized though, so they kept trying to say the prayer and get her under before the waves came! After like the 6th or 7th try, they finally got it. :)


6th, I saw my 1st WILD MONKEY!! It ran out in the road as we were passing and it stopped and stared at us for a minute, then it ran back into the trees! It was a big guy too, he was probably like 3 feet long/tall.


7th, We found out that there are different types of mangoes. We've tried a few, but on Friday, we passed a guy who was picking some sort of fruit from a tree in his front yard, so we stopped to ask him what they were. He said that they were IMPERIAL Mangoes. I'll attach a picture so you can see. The mango on the Left is NORMAL sized!!!


8th, I've been taking lots of pictures of the oceans and cool scenery, and a lot of them could be used as computer backgrounds! Use one of them as your background so you can see what I see every day!!


Mom and Dad, I just want to thank you for helping me get this far. Thanks for teaching me how to cook and to clean up as you go. Thanks for teaching me how to do laundry. Thank you for teaching me how to be good with little kids (Lots of the neighborhood kids like me more than my companion), Dad, thanks for teaching me how to budget my money and how to balance checkbooks and my running totals. Thank you both for raising me in the true church and helping me grow spiritually, because the devil is real. I've found that out recently since I've been here, and am thankful to know what it feels like to have the spirit, and to live in a home with the spirit. All in all, I just wanted to thank you for being good examples to me throughout my life. I miss you all, and love you tons, but this place is great and I'm helping lots of people, so I need to stay out here.


Here's some of those pictures! Love ya!!


Elder Wilson