First of all, I am sorry. We had a change of plans a few days ago, and Zone Conference was moved to yesterday, so we had Zone Conference instead of a P-Day. It was a really good zone conference. I learned a lot and took a ton of notes. It's really weird when you're one of the oldest missionaries in a group of almost 50 missionaries. I still feel like I have a lot to learn and a lot to work on, so it's really weird sometimes to think that I'm one of the missionaries that the young ones look up to. President Mehr taught about how we were foreordained from the foundation of the world to be here on the earth at this time. He also talked about how much the Lord trusts us and how he has shown that trust by giving us his Holy Priesthood. It was a really cool lesson. Usually we talk about investigators, or things we need to do better, but this time, President just focused on building us up like crazy. I felt SO good after zone conference. I felt a lot like Moses in the P. of G.P. (Moses 1:13), "....who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in similitude of His only Begotten..."
I have another thing to tell you....I am currently without a companion. I told you about how I was serving with a mini-missionary, and how he was having a tough time. He came out to serve only after being pressured to come. He then only had 1 day to prepare. Anyways, I woke up this morning to the sound of our front door opening. It was about 6:15 am. I sat up, and was pretty groggy, I walked into the other room, and put my contacts in. I went back into the bedroom. I noticed that it seemed empty. I then realized that my companions backpack was gone, and his duffel bag was gone. I connected the dots.....I instantly called my Zone Leaders, and ran outside, I quickly told my Zone Leader what was happening, and hung up the phone just as I was reaching my companion down the street. I called to him to stop, and he just kept walking, so I walked with him. I tried to find out what was wrong and all he told me was "I have my reasons." I apologized for anything I had done, and tried to convince him to stay to help our investigators to progress, and told him how important it was that he stayed so the work could continue in that area. He wouldn't have it. After about 15 minutes of walking barefoot, trying to talk him out of it, I realized that he had made up his mind. I let him walk away, and called my zone leaders. I have been in a three-man companionship since then. I should be getting a new companion in a few days, so I'll keep you posted on what happens. He's not a bad kid, don't assume that. He's a great kid. I'm not sure why he wanted to leave, but I hope he figures things out before he goes on his real mission. He is supposed to put into his papers in a few weeks. I've thought about that all day. I am not so much concerned about the inconvenience it put me in, as the fact that he will be missing out on a great chance to learn missionary work, first hand, before his actual mission. I wish I could have had more time to help him out, and prepare him for his mission.
On a happier note....:), during Zone Conference yesterday, I realized that my temple recommend was almost expired. So I had the chance to talk to President, and I had an interview to get in renewed! Woo Hoo! I have a temple recommend that is signed by President Mehr. What I wanted to talk about though, was the questions that were asked in the interview. Before my mission, I always just answered "Yes" because that was what I knew was the right answer. I kind of knew about Joseph Smith, and the importance of Jesus Christ and his atonement, but today was different. After being out here for a while, the questions mean more to me. I thought it was a really cool experience to be able to answer all the questions honestly, and actually know what they mean and why they are important to be asked before we are allowed to go to the temple. I really liked the question President asked when he asked "Do you believe that the gospel was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith?" In my head I thought ..."ha ha. Of course....If I didn't I would be a very good missionary." I just responded with a smile, "Yes, President."
That's about all that happened this week. It has been a fairly stressful P-Day, but I'm happy, I'm motivated, I'm focused, and I love it out here. Don't worry about me. :) Things are fantastic!
I love you guys tons!
Love,
Brad